When shopping for recliner chairs for senior citizens or the elderly, we have to pay closer attention than we normally would when purchasing any regular chair. Due to the fact that the elderly generally spend more time indoors and seated than the rest of society, we can safely assume that the comfortability of their seating plays a bigger role in their life. Typically you shouldn’t notice that many differences between a ‘regular’ recliner seat and one that is made for older individuals (it is just a chair after all), but certain elements can make a product better suited for a different demographic. A reclining seat for the elderly needs to be comfortable, easy to access, and hopefully portable.
Best Recliner Chairs For The Elderly in 2019
1. MAGIC Union Power Lift Heated Massage Recliner (5 / 5)
It should come as no surprise that in 2019, the best recliner chair you can get for an older individual is a power recliner. This is because power recliners are able to elevate and angle themselves in ways that other chairs simply can’t; they were essentially made for the elderly. This MAGIC Union chair is perhaps the best all-around recliner chair for older folks as it is not only comfortable, stylish, and loaded with features – it’s relatively affordable as well. Now, depending on which features you do/don’t want, this may be the chair for you. Based on our reviews however, there aren’t many sofa chairs I’d rather have over this one for a senior citizen.
- Made of solid wooden frame and PU leather.cup holders and pockets for putting TV remote or storage things.
- Power lift Function could push the entire chair up from its base to help the senior to stand up easily. Recline the chair and release the built-in foot rest, fully powered by the remote.back and footrest work together
- Easy to use: With 2 remote controls, it will smoothly and safely control the lift or recline or massage of the chair.back and footrest work together Easy to Assembly.
- The 4 areas of massage focus (leg, tight, lumbar,back) with 5 modes( pulse, press, wave, auto, normal) meet your demand of different massage.Heat function is for the lumbar part.
2. CANMOV Power Lift Recliner Chair (4.8 / 5)
The CANMOV power lift recliner is similar in many ways to the MAGIC Union on our list. It’s a very comfortable and stylish option. The biggest differences between this chair and others we recommend are 1) the size of this particular recliner and 2) the features. Clearly, this is a recliner chair with a very wide body and can easily support larger and heavier individuals. I’m not sure that there is a better option for larger elderly folks than this CANMOV power lift recliner. It does not have any special features like heating or massage, but the comfortability makes up for it.
- STURDY AND FUNCTIONAL POWER LIFT RECLINER: Modern style and functionality merge together with single motor and heavy duty mechanism, lay back or lift and tilt to stand, smoothly adjust to any customized position which provide ultimate lounging experience.
- COMFORTABLE AND ANTISKID UPHOLSTERY: Overstuffed pillow designed on back, seat and armrest for support and comfort with a high back, thick cushion and high grade antiskid upholstery, provide a very comfortable sitting feel and enhances safety.
- EASY ASSEMBLY AND EASY USING: Less 10 mins installation, Search” Canmov Lift Chair” on YouTube for assembly guide video, all functions used by only two buttons remote control. Overall size: 40″W x 39″D x 37″H, Seat Height – 20.5″, its max weight capacity is about 300lbs.
3. Everette Power Motion Recliner With USB Charging (4.6 / 5)
Everette’s power recliner is a very elegant and sleek product. In terms of practicality, it is probably only a viable option for elderly individuals whom are more on the slender size. This is because the chair has a very narrow and slender design. However in terms of beauty, this is one of the most beautiful and modern reclining sofa chairs on our list. You won’t get heating/massage on this unit but you will get your typical power reclining feature as well as a USB port charging. It is also very affordable when considering these products and that makes it one of the best options of 2019.
- POWER MOTION ASSIST: Offering a range of motor-powered adjustments, this assisting recliner has been designed by the Everette team with the elderly & disabled in mind. It’s the dependable relaxation solution!
- STRONG & STURDY: To ensure you are provided with a relaxing sitting experience, we have outfitted our power recliner chairs with super strength plastic legs. (Power Outlet & Some Assembly Required)
- BUILT-IN USB PORT: Who knew a power recliner chair could be so high tech? Equipped with a USB port, this power motion recliner chair delivers the ability to charge up your devices while kicking back at home or at the office.
- SIDE ARM STORAGE: Another feature that makes these the preferred electric recliner chairs for the elderly is the incorporation of a hidden storage compartment. Simply lift the arm to stow away your remote, book, gadgets, etc.
4. Bonzy Classic Power Lift Recliner (4.6 / 5)
Bonzy’s power lift recliner is quite a simple product, yet it is one that is often recommended in the recliner seat community. Padding is more than sufficient and you can even sleep in this chair. Its power lift mechanics work as expected and are seamless. Unfortunately, you don’t much in terms of features with the Bonzy reclining chair. The armrests are also slightly less padded than its competition, which can prove to be a problem for certain individuals. Overall though, it’s a great chair and serves its purpose.
- User Friendly- Remote Control allows for recliner/lift to work with ease. This is ideal for those with medical handicaps, women who are nursing, the elderly or the extreme loungers.
- How the Lift Works: The chair lifts up then slightly tilts in order to allow a gentle slide in order to assist the user into standing upright without putting stress on back or knees.
- Size: 32″W x 37″D x 41″H with a seat size: 20-1/2″W x 21″D x 20″H.
- Care: Chair is very easy to clean. Fabric is soft and durable. Chair can hold up to 300 lbs.
- Pocket on the right side of the chair keeps remotes and other small items that the user may need close by.
5. Lifestyle Power Recliner Chair (4 / 5)
As far as these chairs go, the Lifestyle power recliner is one of the most basic models you can get. That isn’t to say that it is bad in any way, but it simply cannot be compared to the higher-end, luxury options we have on our list. Despite all that, it is still a reliable chair. It should last a long time and isn’t an ugly chair by any stretch of the imagination. For the price, it is a good value product and perhaps the best in its range. If you’re looking for an elderly recliner chair that won’t be used every day, then this option may suit your needs. It is well-built, decently comfortable, and overall not bad recliner chair.
- Power Recliner
- Heavy duty and plush fabric
- USB Plug on Activation Switch
- Wallsaver mechanism
- Layflat Premium Mechanism
6. Domesis Renu Leather Wall Hugger Recliner (4 / 5)
We’ve reviewed many products by Domesis Renu in the past and have generally been pretty pleased with their products, and once again we have another one of their solid products on our hands. When comparing it to the other choices on our list, it doesn’t quite stack up with the best of them. The materials are well-padded but a little bit too hard. It is comfortable but only in shorter spurts of time. It can do some nice things, but because of the materials used, we can’t rank it any higher. It’s just good, not great. This product can also be used as an RV recliner.
- WALL HUGGER LIFT CHAIR – The space saving design of the Power Lift Chair by Domesis needs only 4-inches of clearance from the wall to recline or lift, using minimal floor space when reclining.
- 2 BUTTON POWERED RECLINER CONTROL- An easy 2 button controller allows you to simply hold the up or down button until your desired comfort level is reached. Practical for adults with mobility issues, the electric lift feature aids in getting up or sitting down in your chair.
- ERGONOMIC SUPPORT – Your new favorite lounge spot. Fully padded with plush, high-density foam giving just the right amount of cushion in the back, seat, and legs. Perfect for an afternoon nap or your watching your favorite TV lineup.
- RENU LEATHER – Upholstered with a durable, comfortable, and breathable leather blend fabric that feels and looks like top grain leather. Get the popular leather arm chair look without the price tag of a full leather product.
7. New Classic Austin Full Power Glider Recliner (3.6 / 5)
New Classic’s power recliner is a good option for those in search of a reasonably priced and comfortable recliner for older individuals. It is a very basic design and is essentially quite functional. Is it going to be the best recliner you’ve ever sat in? No, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be a good chair in its own respect. The comfort is there, the design is there, and from what we’ve seen from our testing, this is a very durable and well-built recliner that was made to last a long time. It is not meant to be underestimated.
- Sink into cozy comfort with the Austin
- Sinuous Spring “No Sag” Deck Support
- Choose from manual recline or full power head to toe option
- 300lb weight capacity
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Measures: 40″L x 41″W x 38″H
Choosing a Recliner For The Elderly
Unlike with regular recliners, choosing an elderly recliner is even more difficult. You have to consider the accessibility and ease of use of the recliner. All of the recliners you see here are power recliners which means that they will be much easier to get in and out of for a senior citizen. They can even make great theater chairs. When shopping for these products, there are a few key aspects that we need to pay extra attention to.
Ease of Use
Maybe the biggest and most important factor is how easy or difficult the recliner is to use. It doesn’t matter whether or not the chair is comfortable or stylish if it can’t even be used properly! This is why power recliners are recommended for older individuals; it makes the whole process a lot easier. Even if you don’t necessarily need that function in this moment, it is smart to think about the longterm use of the chair. You may wish for that functionality in the future, so be sure to make the right choice now.
Another huge thing to take into account is how reliable or unreliable the recliner is. This means that we should be on the lookout for recliners that won’t break down and chairs that do not experience malfunctions (or experience them very rarely). Senior citizens are not able to simply fix things on the go or call repairmen into their homes quickly. A breakdown may not be a problem for a middle-aged person but for an elder, it certainly can prove to be a huge issue.
Comfort & Design
Lastly, we can focus on things like the comfortability, design, and features. Obviously these factors are still very important and cannot be overlooked in the slightest. A chair must be comfortable and practical if it is to be used on a longterm basis. Be sure to read reviews to determine whether or not they are worth your money. Cheap recliners can be a hit or miss.
The Verdict on Elderly Recliners
In theory, there shouldn’t be much of a difference between a standard reclining chair and one that is made for older individuals. However, that simply isn’t the case. They do differ in many ways and the main one is in the way they operate and how they look. Power recliners aren’t very common in most homes; they are a little less rare than massage chairs. In homes housing older folks though, you see that they become more and more common. This is because they really do work. We cannot stress enough how important it is for a recliner to be easy to use and comfortable for it to be enjoyable.